Vodacom VoLTE (Voice over LTE)
Terms and Conditions
1. VoLTE (Voice over LTE) is a service available to certain smartphone devices on the Vodacom network that allows for traditional voice calls to be terminated over the 4G/LTE network as opposed to the traditional older 2G and 3G networks. The service aims to improve voice call quality by offering HD voice, simultaneous voice and data transfer during a call, faster call set-up times, as well as better network availability.
2. In order to use VoLTE a customer needs to have a compatible device that supports VoLTE on the Vodacom network, the correct version of software approved by Vodacom, as well as the VoLTE service provisioned on their SIM card. Customers can contact customer care on 082 135 to have the service provisioned, the service is free of charge. The VoLTE function, depending on device type, may also need to be switched on in the device’s settings, please consult your device manufacturer’s user guide to find out where to enable VoLTE.
3. VoLTE will only function when in 4G/LTE coverage, however it is important to note that the device will automatically switch back to the older 2G and 3G technologies when necessary to enable a seamless experience. A customer on VoLTE can call a customer on a non-VoLTE device, or who is not in 4G/LTE coverage, and vice versa however, the full functionality of VoLTE may be limited.
4. VoLTE calls will be billed as per the existing rules applicable to your price plan i.e. if there is a voice bundle available or a minute balance, the call will deduct minutes/seconds from the bundle depending on the price plan type. Where there are no voice or minute bundles available, the call will be charged at the standard per minute or per second rate applicable to the price plan making the call.
NB: VoLTE calling will NOT use available Data bundles and is not treated as a VoIP call.
5. In order for a customer to determine if their VoLTE calling is active and working, they need to look for the following indicators bearing in mind these can be different from device to device.
5.1 A logo on the screen that says ‘VoLTE’ (this might be stylised).
5.2 When making or receiving a call the 4G logo remains on the screen and does not change to 3G.
5.3 A logo of two arrows pointing left and right parallel to each other in a horizontal arrangement.
NB: You may need to pull down from the top of the screen of your device in order to see all logos and/or text.
6. Vodacom reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions and where such change is material, Vodacom shall provide prior written notice of such change or amendment.