Information we collect about you
The types of information we process includes;
• Your name, address, mobile number or landline number, date of birth and email address;
• Your account information, such as the number of products you have with us, dates of payment owed or received and the make, model and year of the vehicle you have;
• Your photos or camera settings, if you want to add photos for profile setup, including the User of the device, to their respective profiles (you can revoke these permissions in your phone’s Settings);
• Your credential information such as passwords, hints and similar security information used for authentication and access to accounts and services;
• Your preferences for particular products or services when you tell us what they are, or we assume what they are, based on how you use the products and services;
• Customer care information through your contact with us, such as a note or recording of a call you make to one of our contact centres;
• Information about your mobile handset each time you use the App. For example, we may collect information on the type of mobile device that you are using and its unique device identifier (for example, the IMEI number, the device’s mobile phone number, or the MAC address of the device’s wireless network interface);
• Information about your usage of the App, such as how often you use it or when you dismiss alerts;
• Your mobile handset or device location data. This can be precise where it uses Global Positioning System (GPS) data or by identifying nearby mobile phone masts and Wi-Fi hotspots and you enable location-based services or features. The device will always process location data in order for you to locate the device however, you can turn of location tracking of your mobile handset at any time; and
• Information about your interaction with the App and its features, such as voice related activity if you choose to connect your device with another third party device (for example Alexa). If you do, the other device provider will share with us your “voice intents” which includes the content of your requests to enable us to provide your experience and our services. You can stop the sharing of this information with us by unlinking the device/removing our access to the device.
We’ll also get information about how you use our products and services, such as:
• The level of service that you receive – for example, network or service faults and other events that may affect our network services or other services;
• Details of your use of our services – for example, we can see the amount of data the device is using which we can use to assess whether our data allowances are sufficient; and
• We also collect anonymous analytics information on how users use the device and app in order to improve your experience and troubleshoot.
When we collect your personal information
We collect personal information when:
• You first set up your device in the App and set up your profile;
• You use the App and any of its features (for example, setting a geographical zone or changing tracking mode);
• You subscribe to marketing; or
• You contact our customer care teams.
Vodacom will process your personal information based on:
1. The performance of your contract or to enter into the contract and to take action on your requests. For example, we’ll need to process your network traffic data as part of making your device “connected” and we’ll need to process subscriber’s payment details for your monthly billing.
2. Vodacom’s legitimate business interests, for example, fraud prevention, maintaining the security of our network and services, direct marketing, and improvement of our services. Whenever we rely on this lawful basis to process your data, we assess our business interests to make sure they do not override your rights. Additionally, in some cases you have the right to object to this processing. For more information, visit the Your Rights section of this policy.
3. Compliance with a mandatory legal obligation, including for example accounting and tax requirements, which are subject to strict internal policies (such as retention periods), procedures, and your right to restrict usage of your data, which control the scope of legal assistance to be provided; or
4. Consent you provide where Vodacom does not rely on another legal basis. Consent is always presented to you separately and you can withdraw your consent at any time.