Terms and Conditions of Use
1. Vodacom connectU is a portal providing Vodacom subscribers free access to important information and services based on five key pillars such as health, education, safety and security, jobs and social These services include inter alia Now blog, weather, trends, search via Wikipedia, data rewards, discounted data & voice offers in selected underprivileged communities, as well as, airtime & data Advance offers.
3. In the event of any conflict between these Terms and Conditions and any existing service specific terms and conditions, the order of precedence shall be the existing service specific terms and conditions followed by Vodacom ConnectU Terms and Conditions and the Vodacom subscriber terms and conditions.
Your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions
5. We reserve the right, at any time, to modify and update these Terms and Conditions by posting such updated Terms and Conditions on the Vodacom connectU website and App. Any such updates shall apply to you and your use of the Service and by continuing to use the Service, you shall be deemed to have accepted such changes.
Access to the Service
6. As a Vodacom subscriber, the Service is made available to you exclusively free for browsing without incurring any data charges (browsing is zero rated), independent of your balance status. To access Vodacom connectU, you need to be connected to Vodacom’s data network. The Service will not be available whilst you are roaming out of the territory.
7. You can access Vodacom connectU on URL: www.connectU.vodacom.co.za or on My Vodacom App under the discovery banner to access connectU. To access and use the Service you must be 18 (eighteen) years of age or older.
8. We grant you permission to use the Service, in accordance with these Terms and Conditions, provided that:
a) your use of the Service is only for your personal, non-commercial purposes;
b) you do not copy or distribute any part of the Service in any medium;
c) you do not modify or reverse engineer any part of the Service; and
d) you comply with these Terms and Conditions.
9. You may not use, store, display, publish, transmit, distribute, modify, reproduce, create derivative works of or in any way exploit the Service, in whole or in part, outside of the specific usage rights granted to you by Vodacom.
10. We may change, suspend or discontinue all or any aspect of the Service at any time, including the availability of any specific features. In such event, we shall not be required to provide benefits or other compensation to Subscribers in connection with such discontinued Services, or any discontinued parts thereof.
11. You acknowledge that from time to time, the Service's availability may be limited due to maintenance, upgrade or other technical reasons as relevant.
12. To the extent allowed by law, the Service is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis for your use, without warranties of any kind, express or implied. We do not warrant that you will be able to access or use the service on any device, or any time or location, or that the service will be uninterrupted or error-free. You agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party for any unavailability, modification, suspension or withdrawal of any Content, or any features, part of or Content of the Service or failure to make available any advertised Content title or to do so at the advertised time.
13. You acknowledge that we may appoint third party companies and individuals to facilitate the provision of Service. These third parties have limited access to your information only to the extent necessary for the performance of the Service and not to disclose or use it for other purposes.
Third Party Materials.
14. Vodacom connectU grants you access to links to some third-party websites/apps or services that are available at no data cost to you for browsing only and there may be advertising in those third party websites/app or service ("Third Party Materials"). You may not be able to click through from Vodacom connectU to some specific third party zero-rated Third Party Materials but you will still access the URl at no further data cost to you. You acknowledge and agree that Vodacom is not responsible for Third Party Materials, including their accuracy, completeness, timeliness, validity, copyright or trademark compliance, legality, decency, quality or any other aspect thereof. Vodacom does not assume and will not be held liable or responsible to you or any other person or entity for any Third Party Materials. You access Third Party Materials and links and use them entirely at your own risk and subject to such third parties' terms and conditions. Once you choose to access third party site, you should read and understand that third party site's terms and conditions and privacy statement before disclosing any personal information or using the Third Party Material.
15. Additionally, the Service will host other value-added services, promotions owned or implemented by Vodacom, or any third party as approved by Vodacom (altogether “Offerings”). These Offerings may engage the user to a monetary transaction, such as a daily or weekly subscription. Vodacom does not assume and will not be liable and/or responsible to you or any other person or entity for any Offering during your use of the Service. Offerings and links thereto are provided solely for your convenience, you access, and use of the Offerings is entirely at your own risk and subject to such Offerings’ terms and conditions as provided in the specific Offerings. Once you choose to use a third party link to another site, you should read and understand that site's Terms and Conditions of use and privacy statement before disclosing any personal information.
Your use of the Service.
16. All of the content presented through the Service is owned by or licensed to Vodacom and its service providers or who enable the provision of the Service and is protected by copyright and/or trademark laws. You do not acquire ownership rights to any content viewed through the Service. All rights, titles, and interests in and to the Service (excluding content provided by users) is and will remain the exclusive property of Vodacom and its service providers.
17. All other copying in any format or other unauthorized use of the Service or its contents may constitute a breach of copyright, trademark and/or other intellectual property laws and/or other international laws and may subject you to criminal or civil charges and penalties. Vodacom reserves all other rights not expressly granted hereunder.
18. In no event may the Service be used in a manner that (a) harasses, abuses, threatens, defames or otherwise infringes or violates the rights of others; (b) is unlawful, fraudulent or deceptive; (c) uses technology or other means to access Vodacom's proprietary information that is not authorized by Vodacom; (d) uses or launches any automated system to access Vodacom's website or computer systems; (e) attempts to introduce viruses, trojans, worms, malware, or any other malicious computer code that interrupts, destroys or limits the functionality of any computer software, hardware or telecommunications equipment; (f) attempts to gain unauthorized access to Vodacom's computer network or user accounts; (g) encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, or would give rise to civil liability; or, (h) violates these Terms and Conditions. Vodacom reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate your user account.
19. You may not do any of the following while accessing or using the Service (a) access, tamper with, or use non publicly available areas of the Service, Vodacom’s IT and network infrastructure, or any of the technical platforms of Vodacom or Vodacom’s service providers and technical partners; (b) penetrate, scan, test the vulnerability of any system or network or breach or circumvent any security or authentication measures (c) access the Service by any means (automated or otherwise) other than through the publicly available interfaces, as provided by the Service (d) forge any header or any part of the header information, as provided by the Service or Vodacom’s partners, or in any way use the Service to send altered, deceptive or false source-identifying information; (e) interrupt (or attempt to do so) the access of any user, host location or network, including, without limitation, sending malicious software, overloading, flooding, spamming, creating denial of service, or by scripting the creation of content in such a manner as to exploit the Service and Users that access it.
20. We reserve the right to:
20.1. restrict, suspend or terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time for any reason on prior notice to you and without any liability to us if you are in breach of these terms and conditions and/or you create risk or possible legal exposure to us ;
20.2. disable, alter, suspend or terminate the provision of the Service with immediate effect at any time for any reason on prior notice to you and without any liability to us.
Intellectual Property Rights.
21. You must not use any content in the Service, branding or Intellectual Property Rights of Vodacom, content providers or other third parties without obtaining written consent in advance. You must not use the Service in any way that constitutes a violation of any law (including intellectual property law), or an infringement or misappropriation of our rights (including, without limitation, Intellectual Property Rights), or the rights or Intellectual Property Rights of our licensors or any third party.
22. You must not reproduce, modify, copy, perform, transmit or commercially exploit the content in any manner whatsoever
23. All Intellectual Property Rights, including all rights, title and interest in and to the Service, of whatsoever nature existing now and in the future, remain our absolute property Vodacom and its licensors.
24. Where any of the content has been licensed to us or belongs to any third party, your rights of use will also be subject to any terms and conditions which that licensor or third party imposes from time to time and you agree to comply with such third party terms and conditions.
Limitation of Liability.
25. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, (A) IN NO EVENT SHALL VODACOM AND/OR ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS BE LIABLE TO YOU WITH RESPECT TO ACCESS, USE OF THE SERVICE; AND (B) IN NO EVENT SHALL VODACOM AND/OR ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY: (1) DIRECT OR (2) INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY RELATING TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OR THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE, OR ANY CONTENT POSTED IN OR OBTAINED FROM THE SERVICE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOST PROFITS, LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA, BREACH OF PRIVACY OR SECURITY, TRANSMISSION OF PERSONAL DATA OR FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION OF YOUR DEVICE. YOUR SOLE REMEDY UNDER THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS IS TO CEASE USE OF THE SERVICE.
26. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, VODACOM AND/OR ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS DO NOT MAKE AND HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE, CONTENT, AND SERVICES PROVIDED HEREUNDER OR OTHERWISE REGARDING THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AVAILABILITY OF SERVICE, FREEDOM FROM ERRORS, COMPUTER VIRUSES OR MALWARE, AND WARRANTIES ARISING IN THE COURSE OF DEALING, PERFORMANCE OR USAGE OF TRADE. VODACOM AND/OR UPSTREAM ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OR INFORMATION OF THIRD PARTIES, AND YOU RELEASE VODACOM AND/OR UPSTREAM FROM ANY CLAIMS AND DAMAGES, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH ANY CLAIM YOU HAVE AGAINST ANY SUCH THIRD PARTIES.
27. You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Vodacom, its service provider and their employees, contractors, officers, directors and successors harmless from any and all claims, suits, damages, costs, lawsuits, fines, penalties, liabilities, expenses (including attorney's fees and costs) that arise from your use or misuse of the Service, violation of these Terms and Conditions or violation of any rights (including, but not limited to intellectual property rights, right of privacy, right of publicity, etc.) of a third party. Vodacom reserves, at its sole discretion, the right to assume the exclusive defence and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will cooperate at your own expense in asserting any available defences if requested by Vodacom. The indemnification in this section extends to any allegations of copyright infringement, or other law based on your importation, exportation, manipulation, modification, distribution, sale or other use of text, still images, or audio or video recordings.
Information we collect and how we collect it
29. In addition to the information listed in clause 30 below, we will collect your MSIDN/mobile number automatically when you use the Service. For example, when you visit Vodacom ConnectU you get authenticated via mobile phone number (MSISDN) into our Service, interact with our USSD/SMS notifications, or visit a third-party website, application, or service.
30. When you use the Service, it may use technology to automatically collect certain information, including but not limited to:
- Usage Details. When you access and use the Service, we may automatically collect certain details of your access to and use of the Service, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on or through the Service. These may include your IP address, browser type, operating system, the referring web page, pages visited, location, your mobile carrier, device information (including device and application IDs), search terms, or cookie information. We also receive log data when you click on, view or interact with links on our Service, including links to third-party applications. We use log data in order to customize the content presented to you, including ads. We keep log data as needed for the purposes described in this Policy.
- Device Information. We may collect information about your mobile device and internet connection, including the device's unique device identifier, IP address, device manufacturer and model, operating system, internet browser type and version, mobile network information and the device's telephone number. Header enrichment will be used. Header enrichment is the addition of this data to the http header sent to receiving servers / systems.
- Stored Information and Files. The Service also may access metadata, tags and other information associated with other files stored on your device.
- Location Information. The Service may collect real-time information about the location of your device, in order to provide customized features, such as the local weather forecast, discounted data and rewards.
- Account status. Account status may refer to telephone number (MSISDN), current credit balance and mobile network offerings you have opted-in to, including but not limited to data bundles, call, SMS, VAS services, bundles and credit or data in advance bundles. The Service is designed to provide dynamic offerings of the mobile network, in a dynamic way, based on your current account status. It is the real-time information that defines if the subscriber is eligible for a specific offering, including but not limited to, credit in advance, data in advance and data bundles. The Service has an automated decision making system that processes account status of each individual user to provide the eligible / appropriate offerings.
31. We also may use technologies to collect information about your usage of the Service over time. We do not respond to web browser "do not track" signals.
Information collection and tracking technologies
32. The technologies we use for automatic information collection may include:
- It may be possible to refuse to accept mobile cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your mobile device / mobile web browser. However, if you select such setting configuration you may be unable to have full access and functionality on certain parts of our Service.
- Web Beacons. Pages of the Service or our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or clicked on a button and for other related app statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain app content and verifying system and server integrity).
Sharing your personal information
33. We may share information about you with:
- companies in the Vodacom and Vodafone Group (Vodafone Group Plc and any company or other organisation in which Vodacom owns more than 15% of the share capital);
- developers, companies, partners and/or agents involved in delivering the Services;
- where applicable, credit reference, fraud prevention or business scoring agencies;
- law enforcement agencies, regulatory organisations, courts or other public authorities if we have to, or are authorised to by law;
- emergency services (if you make an emergency call), including your approximate location.
34. We will release information if it is reasonable for the purpose of protecting us against fraud, defending our rights or property, or to protect the interests of our subscribers. If we are re-organised or sold to another organisation, we may transfer any personal information we hold about you to that organisation.
35. We may need to transfer your information to other group companies or service providers in countries outside South Africa. This may happen if our servers or suppliers and service providers are based outside South Africa, or if you use our services and products while visiting countries outside this area.
36. At your option, we may also share your information with partner organisations we have chosen carefully, so they can contact you about their products and services.
Keeping your personal information secure
37. We have specialised security teams who constantly review and improve our measures to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, accidental loss, disclosure or destruction.
38. If we have a contract with another organisation to provide us with services or a service on our behalf to process your personal information, we will make sure they have appropriate security measures and only process your information in the way we have authorised them to and with your consent. These organisations will not be entitled to use your personal information for their own purposes. If necessary, our security team will audit them to make sure they meet the security requirements we have set.
39. Communications over the internet (such as emails) are not secure unless they have been encrypted. Your communications may go through a number of countries before being delivered – as this is the nature of the internet. We cannot accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
Third-party Information Collection
40. When you use Service the links to third party sites, certain third parties may use automatic information collection technologies to collect information about you or your device. These third parties may include: advertisers, ad networks and ad servers, analytics companies, your mobile device manufacturer, your mobile service provider, etc.
41. These third parties may use tracking technologies to collect information about you when you use this Service. The information they collect may be associated with your personal information or they may collect information, including personal information, about your online activities over time and across different websites, apps and other online services or websites. They may use this information to provide you with interest-based (behavioral) advertising or other targeted content.
42. The Service is supported by advertising in certain areas. We may use the information described in these Terms and Conditions to help make advertising more relevant to you, to measure its effectiveness, and to help recognize your devices to serve you ads on and off the Service. We prohibit advertisers from targeting ads based on categories we consider sensitive, such as race, religion, politics, sex life, or health.
43. Our partners may share information with us such as a browser cookie ID, mobile device ID, mobile phone number (MSISDN), as well as demographic or interest data and content viewed or actions taken on a website or app.
44. Our partners may enable us to collect similar information directly from their website or app by integrating our advertising technology.
45. We do not control these third parties' tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. This Policy does not cover those third parties’ use of data.
How we use your information
46. We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information, to:
- Provide you with the Service and its contents, and any other information, products or services that you request from us.
- Fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- Give you notices about your airtime, data and credit status or subscription, including expiration and renewal notices.
- Carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- Notify you when Service updates are available, and of changes to any products or services we offer or provide though it.
47. The usage information we collect helps us improve the Service and deliver a customized experience by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns. We may keep track of how you interact with links across our Service, including our USSD/SMS notifications, third-party services, and client applications, by redirecting clicks or through other means.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to personalize the Service according to your individual interests.
- Speed up searches.
- Identify you when you use the Service.
48. We may also use your information to contact you about our own and third parties' goods and services that may be of interest to you.
49. The Service may provide certain features that allow you to communicate privately. In this case, we will store and process your communications, and information related to them. When using the private (non-public) communication services, please remember that recipients may copy, store, and re-share the content of your communications. This information may enable cross-posting or otherwise help us improve the Service, and is deleted from our Service within a few weeks of your disconnecting from our Service.
Legal basis for processing your personal data
50. We will have a lawful basis for processing your personal data when:
- We need to process your information in order to provide you with the Service you have requested or to enter into a contract;
- You have consented to such processing;
- We have a legitimate interest for processing your data – e.g., for fraud prevention; network and information systems security; data analytics; enhancing, modifying or improving our services; identifying usage trends; and/or
- We are legally obliged to process it.
Disclosure of your information
51. We may disclose aggregated and de-identified information about our users without restriction. In addition, we may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide:
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, content providers, and other third parties we use to support our business, such as Google Analytics. We may share your private personal information with our service provider, Upstream Systems South Africa (Pty) Ltd subject to obligations consistent with this Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures, and on the condition that the third parties use your private personal data only on our behalf and pursuant to our instructions.
- To third parties to personalize services and products offered to you.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including responding to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect our rights, property, or safety or that of our customers, users, contractors or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Social Media Plug-ins
53. The safety and security of your information also depends on you. We will never ask you to publicly expose personal information nor reveal personal communication details such as your phone number or your email address.
54. You should not share your private information details (e.g. phone number) with anyone. The transmission of information via the Internet and mobile platforms is not completely secure. While we take reasonable precautions to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures we provide.
55. Data may be transferred to outside of South Africa within the group or to our appointed service provider. In such case, we take measures to ensure it is protected to the same standards as in South Africa and always according to the GDPR requirements.
56. Specifically, data may be transferred to secure data centers outside of South Africa. These data centers comply with global security standards and certifications. Processing of user data is done over encrypted secure connections, according to these Terms and Conditions and the legal framework of South Africa. Once data retention period is expired, a standardized data disposal process is applied.
57. Privacy Concerns. If you have any concern or complaint about privacy on the Service, please contact on [email protected] or visit us at https://help.vodacom.co.za/personal/contactus/. We will do our best to respond to you in a timely and professional manner in order to answer your questions and resolve your concerns.
58. Should you wish to contact Vodacom with any questions, complaints or claims with respect to the Service, you can either visit: https://help.vodacom.co.za/personal/contactus/ ; Vodacom Customer Care at 082 135, via email on: [email protected] or on “Contact Us” on Vodacom connectU website.
59. These Terms and Conditions are governed exclusively by the laws of South Africa and the parties further agree that the place of contract and performance of these Terms and Conditions is South Africa.
60. The failure of Vodacom and/or its service providers to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms and Conditions shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is for any reason held unenforceable or invalid, then these Terms and Conditions shall be construed as if such provision were not contained in these Terms.
61. These Terms and Conditions comprise the entire agreement between you and Vodacom in relation to connectU, and supersede any other agreement or discussion, oral or written, with respect to the subject matter of these Terms and Conditions.
Some Vodacom connectU specific services
62. Free Two Emergency SMS
- The offering is available to all prepaid subscribers (regardless of your price plan).
- Where you will receive two Free SMSs from Vodacom.
- In order to qualify for the offering, you need to be with Vodacom for 30 days or more.
- The free SMS offering is available for redemption from *135# [“My Vodacom”] or the connectU website.
- The free two emergency SMS offering will be available for redemption on a daily basis
- You will only be able to redeem one “Free SMS bundle “per day, once redeemed you will have to wait until the following day in order to redeem another one.
- You will be able to view balance information as part of the existing “Balance” view option on My Vodacom [“*135#”] and My Vodacom App. Business Rules
- Once redeemed, the SMS may be used to send a message to any network within South Africa
- Each SMS within the bundle will be defined as 160 characters
- The SMS bundle will expire at 23h59m59s on day of redemption and allocation.
- Unused SMS(s) will not be carried over and will be forfeited when not used.
- Once the SMS bundle is depleted, the next applicable bundle or out of bundle usage will be applicable for any subsequent SMSs sent
- Free changing from one prepaid plan to another will not be affected your redeemed SMSs or eligibility for the offering.
- Should you move from being a prepaid subscriber to top up or post-paid, you will no longer be eligible for the offering and any redeemed SMS will be forfeited.
63. Data Rewards – Vodacom Subscribers will be able to unlock data reward by watching an advertisement.
- Only available to Vodacom subscribers out-of-funds (zero balance).
- Eligibility rules are configurable and set up as follows:
i) 1 reward per campaign per user
ii) 1 reward per customer per day
- Bundles expire at midnight
- Data rewards do not apply to data roaming
- Data rewards will deplete as per the standard increment (i.e. 10KB)
- Bundle allocated is at zero cost to the subscriber.
- Allocated bundles follow the same order of consumption (OOC) as “Free” with L.I.F.O.