The types of information we process about you when you use your Connected Devices are:
• Your Connected Device-generated data where it’s been provided by our partners (see Third party sources of data);
• Your account information, such as the number of products you have with us and dates of payment owed or received;
• Your preferences for particular products or services when you tell us what they are, or we assume what they are, based on how you use the products and services (see Marketing & profiling);
• Customer care information through your contact with us, such as a note or recording of a call you make to one of our contact centres;
• Information about the Smart SIM we provide for Connected Devices, such as the data connections performed and the amount of data consumed;
• Your location data. This can be precise where it uses Global Positioning System (GPS) data or by identifying nearby mobile phone masts and Wi-Fi hotspots. Or less precise where, for example, a location is derived from your IP address or data such as a post code or name of a town or city.
We’ll also get information about how you use our products and services, such as:
• The level of service that you receive – for example, network or service faults and other events that may affect our network services or other services; and
• Details of your use of our services – for example, we can see the amount of data your devices are using which we can use to assess what sorts of data allowances we need to provide for different Connected Devices.
When we collect your personal information
We collect your personal information when:
• You use any of your Connected Devices;
• Device or app-generated data has been provided by our partners (see Third party sources of data);
• You subscribe to marketing; or
• You contact our customer care teams with a question or complaint.
Third party sources of data
Given that our customer care teams act of your one-stop-shop for queries and issues around your Connected Devices, we share limited personal data between Vodacom and the partners whose products you have purchased in order for us to achieve this. For example, we may need to share the fact that your device isn’t working or that we needed to reset it with the partner in question.
If you have given us your permission, we also receive your Connected Device’s Service Data from our partners in order to profile you and tailor our communications to you. For example, if we can see that you regularly use a product we might think you want to hear about our others. You can adjust your privacy preferences at any time; see Marketing and profiling for more details.
Where necessary, we collect information from certain organisations. These include fraud-prevention agencies, business directories and credit reference agencies.
Vodacom will process your personal data based on:
1. The performance of your contract or to enter into the contract and to take action on your requests. For example, we’ll need to process your network traffic data as part of making your devices “connected” and we’ll need to process your payment details for your monthly billing.
2. Vodacom’s legitimate business interests, for example, fraud prevention, maintaining the security of our network and services, direct marketing, and improvement of our services. Whenever we rely on this lawful basis to process your data, we assess our business interests to make sure they do not override your rights. Additionally, in some cases you have the right to object to this processing. For more information, visit the Your Rights section of this policy.
3. Compliance with a mandatory legal obligation, including for example accounting and tax requirements, which are subject to strict internal policies (such as retention periods), procedures, and your right to restrict usage of your data, which control the scope of legal assistance to be provided; or
4. Consent you provide where Vodacom does not rely on another legal basis. Consent is always presented to you separately and you can withdraw your consent at any time.