Information we collect about you
The types of information we process includes;
• Your name, address, mobile number or landline number, date of birth and email address;
• Your account information, such as the number of products you have with us, dates of payment owed or received and the type of Connected Device you have;
• Your phone’s address book, so that you can add contacts to the group (you can revoke these permissions in your phone’s Settings);
• Your photos or camera settings, if you want to add photos of Group members, including the User of the device, to their respective profiles (you can revoke these permissions in your phone’s Settings);
• Your preferences for particular products or services when you tell us what they are, or we assume what they are, based on how you use the products and services;
• Customer care information through your contact with us, such as a note or recording of a call you make to one of our contact centres;
• Information about your Connected Device each time you use the App. For example, we may collect information on the type of device that you are using and its unique device identifier (for example, the IMEI number, the device’s mobile phone number, or the MAC address of the device’s wireless network interface);
• Messages between your phone and the device, this is stored locally on your devices;
• Information about your usage of the App, such as how often you use it or when you dismiss alerts; and
• Your Connected Device location data. This can be precise where it uses Global Positioning System (GPS) data or by identifying nearby mobile phone masts and Wi-Fi hotspots and you enable location-based services or features. Or less precise where, for example, a location is derived from your IP address or data such as a post code or name of a town or city.
We’ll also get information about how you use our products and services, such as:
• The level of service that you receive – for example, network or service faults and other events that may affect our network services or other services;
• Details of your use of our services – for example, we can see the amount of data the Connected Device is using which we can use to assess whether our data allowances are sufficient; and
• We also collect anonymous analytics information on how users use the Connected Device in order to improve your experience and troubleshoot.
When we collect your personal information
We collect personal information when:
• You first set up your Connected Device product in the App and add your contact details and those of contacts;
• You use the App and any of its features (for example, dismissing alerts or messaging other contacts);
• You subscribe to marketing; or
• You contact our customer care teams with a query.
Vodacom will process your personal information based on:
1. The performance of your contract or to enter into the contract and to take action on your requests. For example, we’ll need to process your network traffic data as part of making your device “connected” and we’ll need to process Administrator's payment details for your monthly billing.
2. Vodacom’s legitimate business interests, for example, fraud prevention, maintaining the security of our network and services, direct marketing, and improvement of our services. Whenever we rely on this lawful basis to process your personal information, we assess our business interests to make sure they do not override your rights. Additionally, in some cases you have the right to object to this processing. For more information, visit the Your Rights section of this policy.
3. Compliance with a mandatory legal obligation, including for example accounting and tax requirements, which are subject to strict internal policies (such as retention periods), procedures, and your right to restrict usage of your personal information, which control the scope of legal assistance to be provided; or
4. Consent you provide where Vodacom does not rely on another legal basis (referred to above). Consent is always presented to you separately and you can withdraw your consent at any time.